Spamming and Mobile Phone Advertising

 

image

Spam, SMS spam, text spam, m-spam, mobile spanning and spamming, all are terms for the most negative trend in all of mobile phone advertising. Mobile phone spam is becoming the best known form of spam or the directly aimed text messaging at a mobile phone service individually. Today spam is responsible for higher costs in technology, higher prices in mobile messaging services globally and higher expenses incurred by law enforcement agencies.

Although less numerous than its relative email spam, mobile phone advertising is using spam even more effectively and having a negative impact on the industry. Email spam accounts for about 90% of all spam worldwide. Mobile phone spam is the greater portion of the remaining 10%. Northern American spam statistics report that less than 1% of SMS messaging is spam related. This is quite a bit less than in Asia, where the numbers are closer to 30% of SMS messages being spam related. These dramatic differences from region to region are common when looking into the global spamming problem.

SMS spam is currently defined as trespass to chattels in many common law jurisdictions, which does technically make it illegal. SMS spam regulations and fines are enforced in the EU, USA and Australia, with other countries having pending laws in review for the future. The FCC held that SMS spam was illegal in 2004 under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and also the prior Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing Act. Both the TCPA and the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 define SMS spam as unsolicited commercial advertising sent to telephones via text messaging. The FCC made it clear that this would cover unsolicited commercial advertising from voice calls, text calls, SMS calls, paging services, cellular phones, mobile radio services and any other common carrier or service where a party is charged for the spam activity.

Spam and spamming is detrimental to legitimate companies in the mobile phone advertising industry, but there are ways to combat spam overall. Many carriers now let customers report spam by way of call forwarding the spam messages received, or with the short code 7726 or SPAM on their keypad. Associations combating spam like the Open Mobile Alliance and the GSM Association have been formed help with detection. All these aid in the complicated fight against spam and development of countermeasures against it. The mobile phone advertising industry is being forced into greater regulations of compliance to show good faith. Those that do not are considered untrustworthy at best or in violation of several class actions at worst.

Spam, spamming and mobile phone advertising are intertwined in a debate that is not yet finished. As mobile phone technologies advance, it is probable that advancements will also occur in the usage of spam and spamming globally. Nothing can stop the flow of progress, so it seems that users would be wise to learn how to combat spam on their mobile phones directly. Mobile phone advertising be advised to do the same.